Left-click a track to load it on the left turntable. Right-click or shift + click for the right turntable. Click start/stop to begin playing a record; you can then click and drag the needle to seek. If you're one of the "cool kids", click here to get the "Scratch Mode" which gives you more realistic DJ features like the demo video. Don't like the scratch mode? Click here to go back to "Normal Mode".
Welcome to TranceRadio.fm - New Realeses
(a place to have fun and listen to the latest tracks)
What are the features like? See a quick demo video of cueing, pitch bending and beat matching using scratch mode.
The basics: Controls
Left-click a track to load it on the left turntable. Right-click or shift + click for the right turntable. Click and drag the needle to seek while the record is playing. If you're one of the "cool kids", you will see "scratch mode" which gives you more realistic DJ features like the demo video.
- ← ↑ → - Crossfader
- [ ] - Pseudo-transform (cross-fader cut / override)
- 1...5 / 6...0: Cue points for left / right deck while playing. First keypress = set cue point, second = recall.
shift+1 = set/update existing point #1, ctrl+1 = delete.
- - / +: "Nudge" pitch, adjust speed. Use shift for right turntable. (Scratch mode only.)
- < / >: Start/stop button. +shift to use power dial.
- d: Debug (outline) mode.
- double-click a slider or rotary knob to reset it.
Cool kids* get the cool experience.
*(Only SOME Browsers are supported)
There are two things that will determine your experience here:
- Hardware (GPU) acceleration support.
- Flash audio latency ( i.e., not using Windows? :/ )
Both vary based on hardware, OS, drivers and browser.
This prototype won't work for everyone - in fact, If your browser supports "accelerated rendering" or similar GPU-based layout, you should be able to run "scratch mode" which includes pitch bending, scratching and EQ effects.
Audio latency (lag) will vary depending on your operating system and browser, with advance apologies to Windows users who may get 300+ milliseconds. Sorry, it's apparently an OS-level issue. If your browser can't render nice framerates, audio will be intolerable in scratch mode; you'll get an option to fall back to basic non-scratch mode, which will at least have normal-sounding audio playback.
Bonus URL parameters
- ?scratch=1: Force scratch mode on
- ?scratch=0: Force scratch mode off
- ?debug=1: Enable script + UI debug mode
- ?html5audio=1: Enable HTML5 audio support
- ?raf=1: Enable
- ?tripmat=1: "Tripmat" slipmat (like, woah, man.)
- ?skin=yahoo: Yahoo!-themed turntable skin
- ?skin=flickr: Flickr-themed slipmats
Tips & Tricks
(Note that scratch and pitch bending are only available in "scratch mode".)
Scratching and precision
Once you grab the record, the mouse can move anywhere within the screen without losing position. The closer to the outside of the record, the smoother the mouse movement and scratching effects are.
Grab the record with the mouse and throw it forward or backward for a spin effect. During a backspin, the record will take slightly longer to catch up when it is near zero-velocity. Combine backspin with cue points as a fun way to loop beats.
Pausing the record
If you click and release without moving the mouse, the record will simply pause. This is handy when you want to briefly delay the record without losing tempo. Super-fast clicks can substitute for pitch bending in some cases.
Cue point "drum machine"
While on the left deck, use the number keys 1 through 5 to set cue points (shown as pieces of tape on the record) on bass drums, snares, hi-hats as they happen (look at the waveforms for timing) - and then press those keys again to play those sounds. You can cut, mix and match samples to make your own sequences or drum beats. Combine with brake effects, backspins etc. for even more fun. To over-write an existing cue point, use shift + 1. You can also set cue points when the power is off.
Power scratch / beat juggling effects
Cheat real-world turntable physics by setting a cue point (eg. 1) on a bass drum sound, then scratching over that sound; let the beat run for a bar or two, then hit 1 and click + drag to seamlessly scratch from the beginning of the loop as though you were beat juggling two copies of the same record.
Power brake mix
When a snare or bass drum plays, press < to stop the left deck's motor and produce an electronic brake sound effect; combine this with ← to cut the cross-fader to the left deck to play just this sound, then hit ↓ or → to bring the other turntable back into the mix for the next beat. Using shift + ↓ turns the power off, letting the motor spin down - a longer-running sound than stopping the motor.
Quick pitch bending
To match the other record, grab the pitch slider and drastically change the record speed (e.g., if behind, speed it up +6%); as it nears being in sync, bring it back towards the matching speed (e.g., +1%.)
This thing looks broken in my browser. Is there a bug?
This is an experimental demo, rough around the edges, and things may break badly in some browsers. Firefox 4, Safari 5 and Chrome 12 on WinXP + OS X were the primary browsers used and tested during development. (IE 9 and a preview of 10 were tested briefly.) Your mileage may vary with others.
The turntables are slow and my CPU maxes out, that's not very fun. Can this be made faster?
Modern hardware and software is really needed for this demo to perform well. For the best performance, your browser should support hardware acceleration (which depends on your OS and graphics driver support, also.) The demo runs OK on my 2008-era Mac Mini with Safari, but is notably smoother on a new Macbook Pro.
Regardless of your setup, if you get stuttering audio it may help to close other tabs and graphics-heavy applications while trying out the demo.
Scratching sounds kinda glitchy and low-quality. What's up?
There is a direct correlation between audio quality and the developer's math skills, when it comes to scratching and EQ effects. Sorry about that. ;)
Can I load MP3s from the internet?
Generally speaking, yes. Paste web URLs into the text box below each deck, and hit enter or click → to load.
Note that if you are in scratch mode, the remote site must also have a special Flash crossdomain.xml file for playback to work.
Can I load arbitrary SoundCloud tracks?
If you know your party's extension (and by that I mean the "track ID"), you can load it using the same text box for internet URLs. The format is sc-# where # is the track ID. Only tracks that allow streaming will play.
Does this work on the iPhone, iPad, or another "special snowflake"-type device?
The UI renders OK, but you can't do much with it.
Will this work without Flash?
If Flash isn't present, HTML5 audio will be attempted. This will also mean "scratch mode" (including pitch bending and EQ effects) will not be supported and you will be subject to HTML5 audio's quirks, not to mention bugs in my own code in this case.
Can I DJ a house party with this?
In theory, yes. It might be a bit sketchy, but fun for informal events.
Digitized Recordings New Releases
- Ascania - Monochromatic World (Original Mix)
- Imida - You And The Sun (Original Mix)
- Imida - Blankspace (Original Mix)
- Gareth Weston - Checkmate (Touchstone Remix)
- Gareth Weston - Checkmate (Ian Standerwick Remix)
- Touchstone - Road to V (Original Mix)
- Ian Standerwick - The Shadowland (Touchstone Remix)
- Red Sky - Sigma (Touchstone Remix)
- Laura May feat. Charlie - Wicked & Breathe (Ian Standerwick Remix)
- Gareth Weston - Menace (TrancEye Remix)
Dirt Lies & Audio New Releases
- Mi.Lo - Destiny (Original Mix)
- Derek Ryan ft. Charmy - Reborn (jjoo remix)
- Anaki - 333 (Kago Pengchi Remix)
- Progressers - Killer Floor (Original Mix)
- Digital Basement - Istanbul (Original Mix)
- Aureal - Black Ice (Original Mix)
- Kristoffer Elmqvist Ft. Chris Delfs & Lucy Whigham - We Were (John Dopping Impression)
- Progressers - ATears of Joy (Alternative Mix)
- AnaKi - 333 (Original)
- Matt Laws - Proffesional Window (John Dopping Remix)
Hottest tracks from SoundCloud
The best of the best on Soundcloud.
b-sonic New Releases
- Braden Erhardt - Yatsu (Original Mix)
- Braden Erhardt - Yatsu (Marc de Buur Remix)
- Killsens - Dreams & Dragons (Original Mix)
- Killsens - Dreams & Dragons (Eric Sendecki Remix)
- DJ DragoN - Absynth (Club Remix)
- Braden Erhardt - Boxer (DJ Ives M & DJ T.H. Down In The Town Remix)
- Joe Hander - The Feel The Move (Original Mix)
- Johlin - Sigma Gunship (Original Mix)
- Breeze Reaction - Hear No Evil (Original Mix)
- MarceLO LOxXx - Grande Finale (Original Mix)
O.S.S Records Blue New Releases
- Se.Ra.Phic & Markus Voornt - One Day (Original Mix)
- Se.Ra.Phic & Markus Voorn - One Day (Mattbeat Remix)
- Bobcat - Avensis (Original Mix)
- illitheas Pres. Aren - Three Days (Original Mix)
- Denzal - Manic Journey (O.S.S Blue Promo )
- Overthreat - Tears of the fallen angels ( O.S.S Blue Promo )
- Taranhawk - Apollo 10 (Original Mix)
- Taranhawk - Apollo 10 (ARChima Remix)
- illitheas Pres. Aren - Nanven ( O.S.S Records Promo )
Sorcery Records New Releases
- Ruslan Device - Running On The Waves (Original Mix)
- Barakooda - Good Morning (Original Mix)
- Sound Quelle - Caloric (Original Mix)
- Ruslan Device - Earthquake (Rater Remix)
- Matt Passero - Clear Sky (Oliver Warren Remix)
- Barakooda - Horizon (Mantrastic Remix)
- Nordan & Tetarise - Defying Gravity (Sunny Lax Remix)
- Dmitry Strochenko & Denis Karpinsky - My Old Friends (Original Mix)
- Baiaz Project - Lujan (Evol Waves RERE Remix)
- Ilya Soloviev - Downtown (Original Mix)